VINTAGE KITS ANNEX 5
A short history of model airplane engines in the U.S. can be viewed at model engine history.
Click on the August 1, 1941 cancellation stamp from Portland, Oregon to see brochure material from the Elf Engine Company; the brochures were mailed in this envelope to Dixie, Georgia.
An article on Bill Atwood is in the works and should be posted sometime in the not too distant future; this profile of the career of Bill Atwood is not a definitive history but is a compilation of some seldom seen photos and info on some of Bill's lesser known endeavors. Much of the material, including photos from old family albums, has been provided by family members. If you have any Atwood material that you would like to share, let CollectAir know.
An excellent history of Bill Atwood's career in model aviation can be viewed at the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) history site by clicking here. Use the back arrow to return.
As a teaser, here are a few photos of Bill Atwood memorabilia:
The O&R 23 was one of the most popular engines of the late 1930s and 1940s; the ignition version of this ubiquitous engine was in the inventory of just about every builder of free flight models with many kit manufacturers designing models exclusively for this popular engine. Because so many of these engines were manufactured by Ohlsson & Rice, there are many of them still around and can be found relatively easily, some which have never been used by the original buyer. Although not considered to be a "competitive" engine by contestants in vintage contests held by the Society of Antique Modelers, the 23 is popular as an RC sport flyer by SAM members - though it can be "cranky" by the standards of modern glow engines, the O&R 23 can be tuned and tamed to create a fun powerplant for vintage model designs. Because it was so popular, engine collectors almost always have some examples on their engine shelves. Consider the photos below as a tribute to this wonderful engine that kept so many youngsters busy flipping props.
The Dick McCoy designed engines, manufactured by Duro-Matic Products from 1945 to 1956, then taken over by Testors, were popular and competitive race engines of .607 cu. in. displacement used in race cars and speed control-line. The first engines, the "MCCR" and "MCCA", along with the aircraft "Super 60", came out in 1945. The "Red Head" follow-on appeared in 1946-47 and was distinguished by its red head and black anodized crankcase. The McCoy engines had serial numbers up through the "Series 20" engines of 1949 and then s/n's were dropped. The advertisement shown below for the engine type being offered here appeared in the November 1946 issue of Air Trails. Also shown is a cut-a-way of the "Red Head" that was in the same issue.
This engine has been refurbished and reanodized; the engine restorer remarked that the piston head is "pristine" and barely appears to have been run. This early example of the famous McCoy engines has serial number -4708. Note that the exhaust stack has been "shaved" which was commonly done to the engines used in speed U-control because of the tightly fitted cowlings used. Note that this 1947 version does not have the "60" marking below the vertical "McCOY". The McCoy "Series 20" ignition do not have the black case and were somewhat improved because of an enlarged sideport - the so called "White Case" have become popular flight engines for SAM competition (Society of Antique Modelers).
This very nice collector's engine, the "Black Case Red Head", manufactered from late 1946 to some point in 1948, is complete and in display or running condition. M.E.C.A. members may expect all standard conditions to apply. This engine is offered as a package set with the McCoy 29 and McCoy 49 shown below; the price of the three-engine set is $840.00.
Sadly, Damon L. "Dick" McCoy passed away on December 30, 2005 at the age of 98 1/2. He made unique contributions to model engines that are legendary.
A little McCoy history: The California-based company, Duro-Matic, was originally in the business of making welding torches but made war products during WWII. Follwing the war, Charley Miller joined Duro-Matic and their first product was the McCoy race car, without engine. The Hornet was the popular race car engine and Dick McCoy designed the McCoy 60 to use in the racer in competition with the Hornet - the first McCoy 60 was produced at a rate of 250 per day. The original red head/black case was modified with a larger bypass (Series 20) to keep up with the power of the Doolings which proved to be the race track favorite. Duro-Matic was the first engine maker to test run every engine that it made. Charley Miller, the general manager, lived in an apartment house with model greats Duke Fox, Lud Kading, Bill Atwood and Johnny Davis. Miller got a few of the new glow plugs from Ray Arden at the 1946 Wichita Nationals and found that the McCoys ran stronger on glow. It was at this time that he decided to build a .35 glow engine. Miller worked with Testor's to get Testor props which would fit the McCoy - a joint venture with Testor which resulted in several control-line planes, starting with the Freshman and up to the Senior. Duro-Matic production was reduced during the Korean War, eliminating the kits. By 1955, Miller sold his Duro-Matic firm to the Testor Corp., resulting in the popular and low-priced Testor's McCoy glow line of engines. Charley Miller became president of Testor' Corp. by 1963 with its wide-range of hobby products.
The McCoy 29 "Red Head" of .299 cu. in. displacement, designed by Dick McCoy and manufactured by Duro-Matic Products, was first marketed in 1947 as an ignition engine and was aimed at speed control-line and race cars. The advertisement below appeared in the August 1947 Air Trails.
The "Red Head 29" was a small version of the "Red Head 60"; it differed in that it had "29" below the name on the bypass. This ignition engine has been refurbished and has been reanodized. It is very tight, clean, complete and has good compression. Would make a good collector's item or a terrific runner. The engine has serial number 12664 on the lug. M.E.C.A. members can expect M.E.C.A. sale conditions. The price of this excellent condition BCRH speed engine is included in the three-engine set as described with the McCoy 60.
The Engine Collectors Journal, in the June 1985 issue, in a submission by Art Swift, mentions that the moving point design for the McCoy 29 was done by Art in 1945 while he worked for Austincraft - the design was to be used on the Atwood Super Champion. Later in 1946, Duro-Matic elected to buy this moving point design from Austincraft for use on the McCoy 29.
The McCoy 49 Red Head Black Case engine with .499 cubic inch displacement came out in 1947 - it is a smaller version of the McCoy 60. This engine being offered has the early style needle valve and the early needle valve spring (it appears to be the later double spring but it actually has two of the single springs). The timer is the same as the McCoy 60. The same crankcase was used on the McCoy Series 20 engine of 1949 but had the black changed to a "pearl-like" anodize with red painted front and back covers and timer. The "49" was then dropped from the McCoy line as rule changes made it non-competitive.
This "49" ignition engine has obviously been "used" but it is tight with good compression. The anodize has worn off which commonly happened as these engines were run. The serial number appears to be "686" (see photo).
This Dick McCoy designed engine from 1947 is available with the three-engine set which covers the McCoy engines of 1947.
A McCoy 49 guarantee card and operation instruction will accompany the engine. Also, a copy of the "49" drawing, shown below, will be available or a CD is also available.
This is a real little beauty - a brand new, in the box Fox .15RC engine with manual and original receipt for purchase. This Fox .15 is an early attempt at throttling an engine for radio control use; the exhaust is restricted by a moving plate activated by movement of the carburetor throttle arm. The engine is in pristine condition with free moving and oiled parts - fully functioning. The engine was apparently purchased in 1965 by a soldier at Fort Ord, California; the Fort Ord Exchange receipt is included. For whatever reason, the buyer never used this delightful engine - a really nice example, still as purchased.
This engine may be purchased for $105.00.
Duke Fox's Longshaft 59 "Hi-Torque" ignition engine, manufactured by Claude C. Slate in Los Angeles, was the first of the FOX line of engines in 1947. The 1948 "Hi-Speed" 59 was outwardly nearly identical but had a 2-ring piston. The engine experts estimate that only about 1000 of these ignition engines were made. By 1949, Duke Fox went into a partnership with Dale Arnold in North Hollywood and began a line of Arnold & Fox engines - all glow engines. Initial production centered on Fox 29 and 35 front rotor "stunt" engines. In 1950, the Fox 59 Stunt was manufactured in a very limited quantity of less than 25; the engine can be identified by a square rear intake fairing into a protruding and rounded back cover. This engine was further perfected and became the production 1951 Fox 59 Stunt, the version being offered here.
The 59 Stunt of 1951 had a bore of .920 and a stroke of .906 inches. The cylinder head has seven screws; 3 6x32 through bolts to clamp the cylinder to the base and 4 6x32 to attach the cylinder head. The induction system uses a drum valve; the square intake narrows to a venturi section at the spray bar and then dumps the mixture through a hole in the drum valve. Referring to the photos below, note the very fine crankcase casting with the exquisite webs leading to the prop boss - one of the nicest model engine castings you'll ever find. It has been estimated that only 2000 of these engines were manufactured.
The Fox 59 engine offered here has been expertly modified with an exhaust/intake adjustable opening feature to vary rpm/power , possibly for radio control use. A two section flapper valve in the exhaust port is linked to a throttle/flapper valve in the intake and both are simultaneously actuated by a wire arm. Was this modification made by Duke Fox or some other engine guru? Perhaps we will never know. In any case, it is very clever, exhibits fine workmanship and should work as intended.
This engine is "as new" with no evidence that it has ever been mounted or run - ports are clean, the engine is immaculate, mounting lugs are clean with no scars. The engine rotates freely and the exhaust valve restriction feature moves freely. A terrific example of the Fox 59 Stunt with a bonus modification.
By 1953, the Arnold partnership broke up and the Fox Manufacturing Co., Inc. of North Hollywood emerged. The long shaft 59 made by Arnold & Fox was replaced in 1954 with a front rotor Fox 59 Stunt engine with a shorter shaft. It is apparent that this engine was much cheaper to manufacture than the rear drum intake of the original 59 longshaft as offered here.
This rare Fox 59 Stunt longshaft engine is priced at $265.00.
Included with this unusual engine is an original "Fox 59 Operation Manual" which measures 5" x 7" with 4 pages; a Parts/price list is listed on the back page.
The Testor's McCoy "19" glow engine made its debut in 1958. This engine was aimed at the control line stunt market to follow up on the popular "35" stunt engine. The 1959 model offered here had an added web in the exhaust and a slightly different venturi. A portion of the February 1959 American Modeler magazine ad for Testors "New Prices for McCoy Red Head Stunt Engines" is shown below - the "19", "29" and "35" are in the ad.
A portion of the ad copy which gives details of the engine is shown below:
This McCoy 19 Redhead from 1959 is a new old stock engine - never been run and it comes complete with the original instruction sheet and needle valve in the sealed plastic wrap along with an original decal which came with the engine. Note how clean this engine is in the photos below.
A very nice, new engine. This nearly 50-year-old, Dick McCoy designed engine can be yours for SORRY SOLD which includes the original instructions, warranty card and decal.
Henry Orwick built his first model engines in Los Angeles beginning around 1937 with the Orwick "73". The first Orwick "64" came out in 1945; it was a slightly smaller version of the .73 engine. The newer design "64" appeared in 1945/46 and is known as the "64000 series." The engine featured a pea green finish on the crankcase. About 160 of these engines were built; in 1946, Orwick turned over the production of the "64" to Al Cunningham because Cunningham had a greater machine shop capability. Cunningham built about 1250 of these engines in 1946-47. Cunningham went bankrupt in 1947 and Henry Orwick resumed production of the "64" in the "4000" series which were somewhat different with 9 cylinder fins instead of 11, taller head fins and several other changes. The last Orwick built engine was the "29" glow of 1955.
Only a limited number of the 64000 series "64" were actually made by Henry Orwick, making the scarce, 11 fin, "64" Orwick-built engines a desirable collectible engine. Joe Klause and John McCollum (California) made a small run of replica Orwick "64" 64000 series engines in 1983 under the name K&M. At about the same time, a British firm, Dunham Engineering, a manufacturer of model engines, came out with some replica Orwicks which sold in the 1984-86 years. The K&M "64" is nearly a 100% replica - so much so, that the builders added their K&M to parts to avoid confusing them with the original Orwick parts. The Dunham engine had a different crankcase and other variations which made it only about a 95% replica of the "64"; some crankshaft problems were reported with the Dunham replicas.
A small booklet came with the K&M Replica Orwick "64" - be sure and click on the cover, shown below, for a brief description of this replica effort written by Joe Klause and John McCollum in 1983.
A detailed drawing of the Orwick "64" may be viewed and printed by clicking here.
The K&M Orwick "64" replica being offered is serial number R64095; this number appears on the backplate, booklet and bottom and top of its box. Photos of the handsome wood box, booklet, instructions and replacement parts list are presented below.
This beautiful and rare replica engine, from 1983, is unused. You can own this Replica Orwick "64" 64000 series for $749.00.
This Austrian/German made 4-stroke engine with a belt-driven rotary valve is one of the classic European designs and is no longer available. New in the box, this Webra 4-40 (6.5ccm) is ready to power your next project or join your engine collection. Webra item number 1044RC. Complete with "Safety Instructions" and decal sheet. Price is Sorry Sold.
An extremely thorough review of this engine by Peter Chinn was carried in the August 1984 issue of Model Airplane News. For the review and breakdown photos, check out this document by clicking here. Use the back arrow to return.
The Dooling Brothers (Tom and JJF. as used on drawings) of 5452 West Adams Boulevard, Los Angeles, first developed the Dooling 61 in 1947 as a race car engine although some were made in an aircraft version for speed U-control. A "29" version came out in 1949 and was advertised in the aircraft version for a number of years as shown below.
A year later, the "29" was updated with a spring loaded valve pin on the rear rotary disc valve (shown in a photo below) - this engine is being offered here in a "new" condition which is backed up by a significant provenance - the original "Shipping Order" invoice No. 1675 from Dooling dated in 1956. The engine is in the "new" condition as can be witnessed by the photos of the exhaust and piston. The original buyer, a USN Commander, of this engine serial number 15186 had sent in a "29", s/n 6164, for overhaul by Dooling and, at the same time, ordered a new engine, listed on the Dooling Bros. Shipping Order as s/n 15186.
This original shipping document, along with an original Dooling 29 "Care and Service" instruction sheet and the original "Parts & Prices" Drawing No. D-327 accompany this engine (not reproductions). The Parts drawing didn't reflect the spring valve pin used on the 1950 version rotary valve keeper but shows a three-view of the engine and a complete parts breakdown in detail. Three view shown below:
Detail views of s/n 15186 are presented - as you see them on your computer screen, they are magnified significantly giving you an idea of the quality of the finish of this engine. Add this Dooling 29 to your engine collection for SORRY SOLD. I understand that a reproduction Dooling 29 is in the works; I'll wager that it will be priced in the same neighborhood as this original engine which is as "new" as any engine can be.
The Forster Brothers developed an engine around 1935 from their facility in River Forest, Illinois. Several versions were offered in a displacement of .997 cubic inch, the forerunners of a series of Forster engines in the .884 to .997 size, culminating in the "Model 99" of 1939. The original Forster engine has been compared to the early Apex 120 kit engine as it was similar in some respects and sold in kit form also.
The first Forster engine of .29 cubic inch displacement appeared in 1940. The factory was moved to Melrose Park, Illinois in 1940 and, in 1945, moved to Chicago; by 1949, the factory was located in Lanark, Illinois.
The popular post-war Forster 29 ignition engine was superceded by a new glow version in 1950, the Forster G-29. This first glow version is the engine offered for sale. This engine had the case casting modified to include an upslanting rear intake venturi. The engine has a ball bearing supported shaft, ringed piston, and an aluminum drive spool. The G-29 only existed for two years and was replaced by a front intake version, the F-29, in 1952.
This G-29 is in excellent condition - it has been run, perhaps flown, but appears in all respects to be a collector engine. Serial number 7248. Available for $182.50.
The Vivell line of model engines was sold by Earl Vivell of San Francisco and were produced by Jim Brown (in Oakland, I believe) . The first model Vivell engine, the .347 cubic-inch, was a revision to the 1941 Comet 35; coming out in 1944, this early model was soon replaced by the 1945 Vivell "35" which is offered here and pictured above on the Vivell brochure cover. This complete brochure, with specs and spare parts list, can be viewed as a PDF file by clicking Here. This leaflet came from the personal file of Earl Vivell.
This late production "2nd model" from 1945 features a baffled piston and a cast timer housing. The cylinder is oven brazed and was originally finished with a baked varnish which flakes off easily when run. This spark ignition engine is very clean and has the original "hang tank." This engine has had a professional rework with the cast iron piston (two oil grooves) being chrome plated and lapped to a honed cylinder. The V-2 spark plug is new. I have recently run this ignition engine on the bench using gas and oil and it is a strong runner. The "35" polished head has a concave bottom. There is an additional hole in the intake and I have no idea what it was used for. This engine is ready for flight duty, or if intended for display and collection purpose only, the cylinder can be resprayed black for appearance to fix than grungy look. The name, "VIVELL 35," is on the bypass and is pictured below. These engines did not have serial numbers.
A good running example of the early Vivell line of engines, this 1945, 2nd Model "35" is available for SORRY SOLD, including plug.
Using standard reference guides of Anderson's Blue Book, Mike Clanford's A Pictorial A to Z...., and Tim Dannels' American Model Engine Encylopedia, there seems to be some disagreement as to what constitutes the 3rd, 4th and 5th models of the "35" through 1946 and which earns the title of "Super 35". The engine shown below, and offered for sale, falls into the 3rd model category with some variations. The main identifying features of this engine are the enlarged bypass and a large rectangular exhaust. The case is the newer version with no knockout mark on the small web under the shaft, same as used on the "Super 35", but this engine also used a "hang tank" - the crankcase cover on the back does not have the groove and tapped hole for the streamlined tank. I believe the streamlined, back cover mounted tank is the defining modification for the "Super 35" version (I have one for comparison). Another anomaly is the angular cut of the venturi - a crankcase that appeared on the late model "Super 35", or 5th model. One reference also makes note of an additional fin not found on this engine. This engine has been professionally restored - the piston (2 oil grooves) has been chromed and lapped and the cylinder honed - and has been test run. The engine does not come with the "hang tank". One interesting feature: the enlarged exhaust port was cut about .083 inches lower than the 2nd model but the connecting rod and piston are the same - as a result, at top dead center, the piston bottom opens the exhaust port to the crankcase, offering sub-induction.
This engine would make a good flyer or the cylinder could be painted for a collection display. The engine is equipped with a new sparkplug. The price of this Vivell "35" 3rd Model is SORRY SOLD.
Coming: A Vivell "Super 35" 1946 model (SORRY SOLD).
This is a rare version of the O&R Compact. industrial engine which is specially modified for model boats. Manufactured in the 1960s, this engine is brand new as sold by Octura Models of Niles, Illinois. Octura has been a provider of model speed boat accessories for many years.
This (below) is the "Model C" Compact ("C" is without tank) and is the version III which means 1 H.P. at 6300 rpm. I believe the engine is about 21cc displacement. The engine serial number on the mounting lug is "B093282" and the opposite lug is stamped "MODEL C." The engine has been modified by Octura for water cooling and is equipped with a special water jacket with inlet and outlet tubes. There is no muffler as the engine was to be used for speed racing - a fitting on the exhaust pipe would fit some sort of exhaust outlet. In addition, the engine is mounted on a cast aluminum mount specially cast for the engine by Octura and carries the Octura name. I talked to the owner of Octura many years ago about this engine and he told me that at the time they also offered a hopped-up version for race enthusiasts - this engine is standard "III". The engine's markings show it was made by Ohlsson & Rice Inc. Note that the original warning tag is around spark plug cautioning the owner to put oil in the fuel and to read the instructions.
In the early 1960's, the O&R Compact was used in the "White Heat V" RC hydro and held the speed record at one time; Octura sold the plans for this 42-inch hull craft - an ad from 1962 is shown here. Note that the boat was featured in the June 1962 issue of Popular Mechanics.
I believe that the O&R Compact series was sold well into the 1970s as manufactured by Harry Rice under various names with the last carrying the manufacturer's name of Advanced Engineering Products Inc. The engine in the Model A, B and C forms, each with three different horsepowers, was used in many different applications, including leaf blowers, chain saws, water pumps, foggers, bicycle motor, weed trimmer, hedge trimmer, snow blower, air compressor, capstan winch, drill and tools, generators, and even an outboard motor. I have a nice AC/DC generator and water pump combination for boat use powered by the O&R Compact. I've known several modelers that powered RC airplanes with the engine. There is even a special interest group on MSN called "Ohlsson & Rice Cheminol Resource" dedicated to the Compact engine.
In immaculate condition as originally sold, this rare boat version of the O&R Compact III industrial engine is priced at SORRY SOLD.
Commentary on the O&R "Compact" written in 1966 by model airplane engine guru, Joe Wagner, in The Engine Collectors' Journal. Wagner's article covers the history of the Ohlsson & Rice engines, the company's ups and downs, and the break up of Harry Rice and Irwin Ohlsson. Wagners writes, "A few years ago, Harry Rice got back into the miniature engine business again - but not with a powerplant for model airplanes. The now well known O&R 'Compact' engine, designed and built for all sorts of light, portable outdoor power applications, was the beginning of a real comeback in the 2-cycle engine business for one of the oldest companies engaged in this line. The engine has proved to be so versatile and reliable - almost like the old "23" was in modeling - that now a whole family of O&R 'Compact' engines are available. And, to complete the circle, many modelers nowadays, especially R/C boat enthusiasts, have converted these latest Ohlsson and Rice engines into model power units."
William Lykens Brown of Philadelphia began developing model gas engines in 1930 while in high school. Bill's friend, Maxwell Bassett, used Bill's experimental engines in models of his design - winning several contests in 1932 - 1933 flying against rubber-powered models. The NAA set up separate events for gas models in 1934 and Bill Brown began production of his engine at that time - first through a friend, Walter Hurleman, and then with his own company, the Junior Motors Corporation. The first engines off the new line were the Brown "B" of .60 cubic inch. These engines are considered to be the first mass-produced model engines.
Bill Brown's Brown Junior engine launched the gas model hobby and assured it's historical significance. The majority of gas model designs between 1934 and 1942 showed the Brown Junior as the engine of choice. In the next couple of years after 1934, many new gas model engines were placed on the market by competitors, primarily the Baby Cyclone, Bunch Gwin Aero and Mighty Midget and the Ohlsson .56. The Brown Junior enjoyed the greatest sales in the 1936 to 1939 period but fell victim to newer engines as Brown failed to upgrade the .60 and did not develop a Class B engine to compete with the very popular Ohlsson .23 - his attempt, the "Brownie", Brown E, was non-competitive.
This engine is the Brown D, manufactured by Junior Motors from 1938 through 1942. The configuration of this engine, along with the placement of the serial number, 15032D, on top of the lug, suggests that it was built in 1939 which was the peak year for production of the "D" engine (16,600 built) although the "bump" timer arm presumably didn't come out until a year or two later. The "D" is equipped with piston rings.
This version of the Brown Junior has been used for the Brown Junior event in SAM contests. The engine is clean and has good compression. The tank bowl appears to be a new replica. The sparkplug comes with the engine and it is a replica Hurleman. This engine is ready to go flying or occupy a space in your collection - maybe both. The price is $SORRY SOLD$.
If you would like to see, or print out, a 1941 brochure page for the Brown "D", then Click Here for a PDF file. Note on this brochure that the 3-view of the engine still shows the intake choke although not used on the '41 model - the photo of the engine is correct.
Herb Wahl was noted for constructing limited edition, commemorative replica engines in the 1970s and 80s. This boxed, Brown Jr. commemorative engine represents Bill Brown's first model engine and is a very significant addition to any model airplane collection. Mr. Brown, who signed the certificate shown below, is now deceased.
The following text is from Herb Wahl's information provided with the commemorative Brown Jr. engine.
This excellent, boxed engine, Serial Number 199, with all original papers and enclosures from Herb Wahl, is available for $SORRY SOLD$. Papers include the certificate, the above description, a 1975/76 parts list, and a personal note to "Roy" along with an optional needle valve tension spring. This is a replica engine that is already over thirty years old! Antique squared?
The "queen" of the Ohlsson & Rice .60 cubic inch engines, the Custom model came out in March 1940. This was a quality engine extending the lineage of the O&R 23 design philosophy. With a .604 cubic inch displacement, the Custom model featured a ball thrust bearing and a roller bearing crankshaft support. A sporty bronze eagle (called the "Foo Bird" by Harry Rice) headlined the case. The fuel tank top was cast integral with a flared venturi inlet. Obviously an expensive engine to manufacture, the Custom model was last made through 1941; after WW2, the cheaper O&R 60 Special replaced the Custom - the Special dropped the roller bearing, cast tank and venturi and the classy eagle logo. The "Special" actually was announced at the beginning of 1942 but production would have been sharply curtailed as we entered WW2. The ad below is from the January 1942 issue of Air Trails; it would have been written prior to Pearl Harbor.
This engine being offered is the last of the short-term breed. It is the 1941 version with a larger prop shaft measuring 5/16". The engine is serial number 5532.
This engine is in absolutely original condition with the original fuel bowl and correct needle valve. Although certainly run (evidence of a red prop on drive washer), the engine appears virtually as new as you can tell from the photos. It has terrific compression. No O&R collection is complete without this beauty.
There has been no attempt to "doll" this engine - it is original with no polishing or paint. The price of this collector-quality O&R Custom 60 engine, serial number 5532, is $SORRY SOLD.
This like-new O&R Custom 60 is from the estate of Frank Macy who, for years, maintained the historical past of the American Junior company founded by the famous Jim Walker, inventor of "U-control." Reward yourself with a visit to the American Junior website and relive the wonderful era of Jim Walker. You can go directly to a section devoted to Fank Macy by clicking here.
Note the interesting propeller, "HF." This engine is in the CollectAir collection; it appears to have never been run after purchase.
Correspondent Don Anderson has offered the following information about the "HF" prop.
"I was looking at your postings of model engines and came across the photos of Frank Macy's O&R Custom you have now. The "HF" on the propeller stand for Harry Fosbury who was a model designer, supplier, and custom prop maker in the Portland Oregon area. He owned the Eagle Wing Model Aircraft company. He died about 30 years ago and Frank had much of his estate. Harry was a personal friend of Jim Walker of American Junior. If you look at Frank's web site for the Nifty Glider you can see a piece of Harry's history. I was a part of the late American Junior Aircraft Historical Society. I thought you might want some history to go with that old prop."
Herb Wahl was noted for constructing limited edition, commemorative replica engines in the 1970s and 80s. This boxed, Ohlsson Gold Seal represents Irwin Ohlsson's first model engine and is a very significant addition to any model airplane collection. Mr. Ohlsson, who signed the certificate shown below, is now deceased.
The following text is from Herb Wahl's information provided with the commemorative engine.
This excellent engine, s/n 471, with all original papers and enclosures from Herb Wahl, is available for $SORRY SOLD$. Papers include the certificate, the above description, a 1982 parts list, and operating suggestions. A replica engine that is already nearly thirty years old! A sister engine, serial number 664, however, is for sale. S/n 664 includes the same style box and certificate signed by Irwin Ohlsson. Also included with this engine is a handwritten note by Herb Wahl to the original buyer in June 1983 thanking him for the purchase and patience in waiting for the production. Not pictured here, s/n 664 is identical and is guaranteed. Price for this outstanding commemorative engine is $395.00.
This is the first model O.S. .29 twin stack glo engine; it was purchased in Japan over 50 years ago! The purchaser of this engine lived in China with his parents who were steamship representatives. He purchased some kits and engines on a trip to Japan although these items were never used.
The O.S. .29 (Osaka) twin stack engine is an earlier version (1949 first model) of the 1950 "New 29" pictured on page 156 of the out-of-print British book, "A Pictorial A to Z of Vintage and Classic Model Airplane Engines" by Mike Clanford (1987). This information is based on the 60th Anniversary Wall Chart put out by OS Engines in 1996 and repeated on their website history timeline. The popular follow-on O.S. Max series came out in 1954, post dating this classic .29 first model. This rare first model was apparently only produced in 1949 and is pictured below as shown on the O.S. website - note that the O.S. "museum" engine doesn't have as bright of red anodize on the fuel tank as the CollectAir engine.
Another view of the same model version engine that is being offered for sale is pictured below.
O.S. was started in 1936 by Shigeo Ogawa. Shigeo Ogawa constructed his first rubber-powered model in 1931. He finished technical school education in Osaka in 1935 and went to work as a furniture designer. With a few machine tools in a warehouse, Shigeo built model steam engines and locomotives; he devised a small pressure gage which he sold in model shops in Japan. He saw photos of the Brown Junior in 1937 and decided to build his own, not very successfully but it did run with a flywheel - he provided a water jacket and ran it in a boat. He made his first production engine in 1937-38, the Pixie, then a .44 displacement called the Buick. During WWII he served in Malaya and Thailand. Following the war, he returned and worked on a .60 front rotor. The U.S. servicemen in Japan got numerous engines from the U.S. and these engines inspired Shigeo to produce his own, quality engine, the O.S. series.
This rare engine appears in all respects to be "as new" with no signs of having been run. Although dormant for 50+ years, this beauty is ready to fire up. A collectible engine with interesting provenance. The engine is serial number 18031, but I have no idea where O.S. serial numbers started. There are several scratch marks (or nicks) in the anodizing on the fuel tank. This very desirable engine is available for $365.00.
The OS "29", an article from the January 1953 issue of Air Trails magazine. (Note that this is the Third Version Model which has "Atwood Model" cast into the crankcase and was imported into the U.S. by Atwood.)
The OS 29 engine is built in Japan and distributed in the United States by Atwood Distributing Co. It is a .29 displacement sport type with power output and general performance similar to the current .29 engines produced in the United States.
Most American engines used for stunt and sport flying operate best at approximately 10,000 rpm running on the ground. The OS .29 is ported for higher rpm and delivers equivalent power at a "working" rpm of 12,000. This engine should be well suited to stunt flying and general sport applications due to its ability to feed fuel evenly. Team racing fans should be interested in the 18,500 rpm combined with easy starting, either hot or cold.
The instruction manual supplied with the engine recommended four different fuel mixtures, giving formulas for each, and special glow plugs. However, the engine test was conducted using popular American fuels with Ohlsson and Champion glow plugs and showed very good results. Modelers wishing to operate gas-powered models in areas where prepared fuels are hard to obtain should be interested to know that one fuel recommended by the manufacturer is made of one part castor oil with three parts alcohol. A special glow plug is recommended with this mixture, but equivalent results should be obtained by using an Ohlsson AA plug or one of the glow plugs designed for half-A engines.
The general appearance of the OS .29 is typical of foreign items imported in this country: very neat workmanship and attention to fine details. The beam motor mounts are quite generous and are slightly above the center of the shaft. A long crankshaft and main bearing move the propeller out a good distance ahead of the needle valve, protecting the fingers during adjustments. The carburetor is of the front rotary type with a very large bell mouth venturi. Generous cooling surface is provided by a large cylinder head and large fins on the upper part of the cylinder.
Material and workmanship inside this engine indicate good resistance to wear. The steel crankshaft is hardened and ground to close tolerance. Double intake and exhaust ports are cut in each side of the steel cylinder, and fins are machined integral. The piston is made of cast iron with a safety plug fitted into the top that will melt if the engine overheats. The base of the engine is designed to be very compact and give a high base compression.
The engine porting is unusual for a .29 engine. Fuel moves from the base through a bypass on each side of the cylinder through two intake ports and into the combustion chamber. Exhaust ports are directly above the intake ports and discharge out of each side of the cylinder.
Performance was very good during the first part of the test, but continued running showed an increase of 1,000 rpm and reached a constant in about five hours. Starting was easy at all times with the engine either hot or cold. The needle valve adjustment was very good at all speeds and the rengine ran smooth throughout the full range. At 10,000 rpm the power output was only slightly less that that of the best American engines but came up to a most favorable comparison at 12,000 rpm. This is probably due to the exhaust port opening sooner on the OS .29.
This engine is produced by a company that is twenty years old and put sixteen different models on the market, over thirty thousand engines having been produced. They also make an .09 and .19 engine which is expected to be available in this country. All screws and threads are interchangeable with U.S. parts except the propeller nut. This is an odd thread and care should be exercised when changing propellers on the flying field, since replacement can be obtained only through parts service.
End of article.
The Apex Skylark engine was manufactured as either a kit or complete engine beginning around 1936; the Apex Motors company was located in Berkeley, California. The prime target markets for the Skylark were machinists and students taking shop class. The kit included some finished parts including the cylinder assembly, piston pin, piston ring, spark plug, timer spring, ignition parts and the gas lines - a complete set of assembly and working drawings were provided. All materials and castings necessary to complete the engine were provided, including bolts, nuts and gaskets.
The engine has a 7/8" bore and a 7/8" stroke, making it around a .60 cubic-inch displacement. A portion of a Skylark brochure is shown below; for the complete 2-page brochure, Click Here. Note that the cylinder head cooling fins on the brochure Skylark have been machined while most engines were made with the "as cast" fins - Skylarks pictured in reference books have the "as cast" fins. Apex also made a .120 which had machined fins similar in appearance to a Forster 99.
The engine pictured above does not show a fuel tank, which is the case for the engine being offered. The engine could be run in either direction. This engine is in like new condition, complete with spark plug. Production of this engine apparently ceased with World War II - I can find no advertising copy in magazines - perhaps ads were carried in craft publications aimed at small engines. This is a rare model engine which would make a valuable addition to a collection and would be fun to run. Price for this unusual example is $400.00. Detailed photos shown below.
The COMO .61 is an Italian-made engine which was originally made for import by World Engines who also imported the Italian SuperTigre line and the Japanese O.S. engines. The COMO bears the lineage of the Jaures Garafoli designed Supertigre line.
This COMO .61 is the ringed version; the carburetor moves freely. The engine has been used but appears to be in excellent condition. Vintage for this Italian engine is somewhere in the 1980s. You can own this engine for only $79.50.
The Norwegian company of David-Anderson Motor manufactured a line of conventional compression ignition engines; they were well known for their engineering and quality. The company was in the business until 1964. The box for the "Satellitt 10" states, "SATELLITT 10 is made at the world's oldest established factory for model engines. Where superb precision engineering and accumulated knowledge have combines to make SATELLITT 10 a powerful and dependable general purpose engine."
This 1 c.c. diesel engine is new in the box along with the factory brochure for David-Anderson Motor engines. The engine is marked on the cylinder as "DA Norway" and is serial number 1979 (etched on mounting lug). The David-Andersen motors are listed in Mike Clanford's 1987 book, A Pictorial A to Z of Vintage and Classic Model Airplane Engines. The photo below shows the Satellitt 10 box and the picture of the engine in Clanford's book; the date of this engine is around 1960.
Photos of this rather rare, 50 year-old engine are presented below along with the factory brochure for the diesel line. This NIB Norwegian engine is available for Sorry sold - back to Norway!.
The 2.5 c.c., twin-stack engine appeared in three marks. The Mk I (1951) had a "D" profile FRV venturi and a "stepped" top to the cooling fins. The Mk II (1954) retained the "D" venturi protrusion, but added a lightly domed top to the head, with fore-aft cooling fins. The final Mk III model (1955) left the head unchanged from the Mk II, but carried an extended venturi, turned to a circular section. The first photo below is from Mike Clanford's book on page 37.
This 1955 finned, 4-bolt head, machined intake model with plain bearing, s/n 03995, is quite rare. The engine is used but has great compression. The unusual prop, "X-PERT" 10-4, comes with the engine. Price of this 2.5 c.c. Norwegian diesel is $425.00.
Click on the photo below to read a June 1955 review of this engine from Model Airplane News.
The 1945 Rocket Victor Model was a development of the 1940 May "Silver King" manufactured in Detroit by George May. World War II brought an end to the May "Rockets" and by 1945, the engine was made by Corporate Products, Inc,. still in Detroit. Production (and the company) apparently ceased by 1947 and the product was sold off by Little Mike Marx Toy Co. for as little as $4.50. The demise of Rocket Motors has been linked to General Motors! When GM was about to launch the Olds 88 "Rocket" their marketing people discovered the Rocket model engine - not wanting brand name competition, GM bought the Rocket Motor operation and crushed all the dies.
The engine offered here has several features which distinguish it from many of the Rocket Victors of 1945. The back cover has the tank mounting rim that was used for the streamline tank on the 1940 "Silver King" - my guess is that this casting was never changed and that most of the production engines had the rim machined off and at some point is was decided tht it was not necessary to remove it. Note that the line drawing above does not show this rim but it is very apparent in several of the photos below. Of more consequence, some of the Victors had a small set screw in the bottom of the case extension to retain the main bearing - this engine has that setscrew.
The Rocket Victor is a beautiful engine which exudes that styling of the 1940s. The engine case can be polished to a brilliant shine; I have not polished this engine - it is in the basic "as sold" bright condition. The engine is tight with excellent compression and I can't tell if it has been used. The tank bowl is original. One more Rocket model came out in 1946, the Rocket "4610" with an enclosed timer and a hex-shaped venturi and separate tank - the last of the line.
A marvelous metal sculpture that runs. Look at that nice timer arm casting - wonder how many of those survived flying? The Rocket Victor utilized many steel stamping for internal parts and these parts were heavily case hardened, making them quite strong. The wrist pin arrangement is rather unique as the brass piston baffle is held in place by the wrist pin carrier nut. The engine has a reputation of being very strong if not over-revved. Some reproduction parts are currently available.
The Rocket was heavily advertised in the immediate post-war era as one of the first engines to hit the market and had a price tag of $22.50, less coil and condenser. Photos in ads do not show the back cover rim. Ads stated: "The quick starting and thrilling performance of the new, improved Rocket Victor Motor are due to the patented Rotor Intake Valve in connection with special tested parts. Every Rocket Motor is bench tested at the factory and the most exacting care is taken in the manufacturing operations." The advertised displacement was .460 cu. in. This collector engine is available for $SORRY SOLD$.
The first of the larger L.M. Cox Thimble Drome engines was the 1959 Sportsman 15. This .142 cu. in. engine has a crankcase machined from an extruded bar and has beam mounts. It has no colored parts and uses plain bearings. This engine is NIB as shown below and is priced at $295.00. Instructions, tool etc. are located in the package.
The Cox 15 was used by Sterling to power their ready-to-fly, plastic Mustang. Their 3-page ad in the July 1960 American Modeler states that it is "Powered with the new L.M. Cox .15 engine with self-starter." The same issue has a multi-page write up about the Sterling "Molded" Mustang by the exceptional artist and model writer, Cal Smith. The beginning of the article on this 36", Cox .15 powered U-control model is reproduced below.
The 1959 Space Hopper 049 is a smaller version of the Sportsman 15 with a similar design. The engine has a displacement of .049 cu. in. The NIB, L.M. Cox thimble Drome Space Hopper 049, pictured below, is priced at $295.00. Instructions, tool etc. are located in the package.
Note. The first engine that Cox completely manufactured was the L.M.Cox Thimble Drome Space Bug .049 in 1952.
Click on the Space Bug below to view a larger image; click it again to enlarge. Use the backarrow to return. This is from a 1953 advertisement.
This is the first Fox .09 engine, coming out in 1959. With a displacement of .099 cu. in., the engine has a die cast crankcase with an integral fuel tank. The head is finless. It has a lapped piston with a ball and socket connecting rod joint and has no bushing in the crankcase. NIB with a parts envelope, guarantee certificate and instructions. Although the engine is a "Rocket," there is no use of the term on the box or in the paperwork accompanying the engine - only that is has, "Missile Age Styling." An excellent collector's example priced at SORRY SOLD.
The February 1960 issue of American Modeler magazine has a writeup description of this engine under the title of "Duke's .09 Engine Designed for Rugged Use By Sports Flyers." You can access a PDF file of this page by Clicking Here.
In May 1955, the K&B Manufacturing Co. entered into a merger with the Allyn Sales Company; the new name was K&B/Allyn with manufacturing in Los Angeles on Duarte Street. The K&B/Allyn operation existed until May 1960 at which time the "Allyn" portion of the name was dropped and the plant moved to Downey as K&B Manufacturing became a subsidiary of Aurora Plastics. The original "Torpedo" name was obtained from Bill Atwood's Phantom Motors by Lud Kading and John Brodbeck around 1946. Engines with boxes marked "K&B/Allyn" are from the 1955 to 1960 era.
The K&B/Allyn Torpedo 09 was the smallest K&B green head produced. The engine came on the market in 1956. The 1956 engine had no web in the exhaust port, but a center web was added in 1958 and these engines had serial numbers ranging from 09500 to 27500. The NIB K&B/Allyn 09 being offered here is serial number 15716. The boxed engine (Stock Number #500) is complete with the instruction sheet and parts list, guarantee card, break-in warning slip and a K&B/Allyn decal. The cardboard tube prop spacer is included but I forgot to put it back on for the photo - the engine has been checked and is in like-new condition.
The price of this K&B/Allyn Torpedo 09 is $sorry sold.
The first K&B/Allyn Torpedo 35 green head was introduced in July 1954, and during the K&B/Allyn period, the "35" appeared in several versions including an R/C version with exhaust baffle in 1958 and a "combat" version marked with a "C" on the case. The 1954 version had serial numbers from 00100 to 40000. The NIB engine being offered here is serial number 31487. The engine is in "as new" condition and comes with the instructions and parts list, decals, break-in slip and guarantee card. The designation of "K&B/Allyn," as on the box, existed between 1955 and 1960, dating this engine along with its serial number. The price of this Stock #507 "35" is $SORRY SOLD.
The Ohlsson & Rice Mfg. Co. was an outgrowth of the original Ohlsson company and the O&R engines became America's most popular engines for many years; Harry Rice and Irwin Ohlsson split up around 1952 and Harry bought the Cheminol Corp. to market the O&R fuel product. Rice also bought the interest in the Ohlsson & Rice, Inc. company. Rice is credited as being the designer of the O&R engines. By 1955 most of the O&R engine line was being produced again by Harry Rice's Cheminol. There was no longer a Mr. "O" in O&R.
Harry Rice designed the new O&R 049 Midjet, a glow engine with a displacement of .0495 cu. in.; the engine was introduced in 1954/55. It features a large die cast fuel tank which also serves as a radial mounting. The early production engines had natural finish on the head and fins and the "O&R Foo Bird" copper eagle was on the front of the cylinder, the first time the "Foo Bird" had been used since the 1940 Ohlsson 60 Custom. The O&R 049 Mite was introduced in 1956 with a shorter shaft case compared to the Midjet and some had a black oxide cylinder. Cheminol (O&R) suspended production of model engines in mid-1958. The company continued to make the O&R Compact 1 h.p. engine for industrial purposes well into the 1960s and 70s. Irwin Ohlsson continued in business as Ohlsson Manufacturing Co. producing glow plugs. Of interest is a 1958 glow plug advertisement by Ohlsson Manufacturing which states that they are "Not connected with Ohlsson & Rice."
The O&R 049 Midjet offered here is boxed and appears to be new. It comes with the original instructions/parts list, Warranty card, tools and "Foo Bird" decals. The engine has the copper eagle "Foo Bird" on the cylinder. This Harry Rice engine was introduced into a very competitive market as the .049s became popular. This is a fine example of one of the last of the O&Rs.
The O&R 049 Mite, made by Cheminol, was introduced in 1956/57; it is similar to the Midjet but features a shorter shaft case compared to the Midjet and has no tank. It came with a black oxide finished cylinder and had an optional radial mount bracket. The Mite also features the copper "O&R Foo Bird" on the cylinder. This is the last of the Ohlsson & Rice engines designed for flight. Two other versions of the Mite came out subsequently, a version with a pull started for possibly race car use and a 1957 race car engine with pull starter and a centrifugal clutch and a planetary gear set.
The Mite presented here comes with the original box and papers; it does not appear to have been run after purchase. The box insert has the needle valve attached and has a sticker which reads "1957 $4.95". It comes with the original instructions/parts list, Warranty card, an installation instruction sheet and "Foo Bird" decals. The engine has the copper eagle "Foo Bird" on the cylinder. These items are pictured below. This Harry Rice designed engine was introduced into a very competitive market as the .049s became popular. This is a fine example of one of the last of the O&R model engines before they were discontinued around 1958. This engine has not been priced.
According to all sources, the Mite engine had a black oxide cylinder finish; however, this engine has a polished, bare metal head - but it does have the "Foo Bird." Supposedly, the last engines built had no "Foo Bird" on the cylinder. There were at least two boxes used for the Mite; one with an airplane model and the other in a more stylish box. The airplane box lid is shown below; the stylish lid is the one that comes with this engine.
The photos below show the Mite 049 and the original box. Additional parts that come with the engine include a special fuel line, needle valve,washers, and a plug and head wrench. The box lists the engine as an "A-2". The installation instructions consist of a single sheet with numerous engine drawings showing dimensions; you can access this sheet by clicking here. Use the back arrow to return.
Occasionally, there will be some old engine items listed here.
McCoy Diesel Duro Glo original instruction sheet and parts list - not a copy. Yours for $2.00.
Screws for McCoy 29 (13 of them) in Fox screw & gasket set envelope. Only $2.00 shipped.
Engines may be ordered by contacting CollectAir through theFeedback Link at left, top margin, or calling cell (408) 828-2810 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Payment by cash, check or Paypal. Mail to CollectAir, 1324 De La Vina St., Santa Barbara, CA 93101. Ordering info is given on the Products page.